Mums Must Have
Essential Baby Things At Home
Here are some suggested essential things you might need for your baby. This list is not exhaustive and you might find sources that provide a much longer list. However, the items listed here had been quite adequate for me.
If you are not particular, you might consider using hand-me-downs.
- 3-7 Baby Vests, preferably open-front, snap-bottom body suits so shirts don't ride up.
- 3-5 Stretchies with feet, preferably open-front and side-snap styles.
- 2-3 pairs Mittens.
- 1 Hat lightweight with brim.
- 4-5 Nappy Covers if you're planning to use cloth nappies. You don't need this if you use the all-in-one cloth diaper system.
- 2-3 Washable Bibs to protect clothes from spit ups.
- 2-3 pairs Booties.
LINEN WARDROBE FOR BABY
- 2-3 Receiving Blankets for swaddling baby.
- 3-5 Soft Washcloth.
- 2 Terry Cloth Towels with hoods (Just cute to have).
- 1-2 Cotton or Flannel Blankets.
- 2 boxes of Nappy Liner for cloth nappies.
- 3 packets (dozen in a pack) Nappies if you are washing.
- 2-4 packets of Disposable Diapers for night wear.
- 2 Fitted Sheets for cot.
- 2 Waterproof Pads for protecting cot/mattress.
- 4 Feeding Bottles, 4-ounce size with teats.
- 4-5 Feeding Bottles, 8-ounce size with teats.
- 1 Bottle and Nipple Brushes.
- A Sterilizer.
- 2 Pacifiers if you decide to use one (Not recommended to use).
- Bath Liquid.
- Baby Shampoo. I recommend Avent and Mustela for their wonderful scent.
- Baby Oil / Olive Oil only if your doctor prescribes it for cradle cap.
- Ointment for nappy rash. I recommend Mustela for its pleasant scent or drapolene for cost effectiveness.
- Wipes for nappy change, hand washing, etc.
- Sterile Cotton Balls for cleaning baby's eyes and nappy changes at home.
- 1 dozen Pins if you are using cloth nappies.
- Cotton Buds for daubing alcohol on the umbilical stump.
- Baby Clippers.
- Baby Brush and Comb.
FURNISHING FOR BABY
- Cot. Avoid posts or knobs that protrude.
- Cot Mattress. Look for firmness.
- Changing Space. Look for comfortable height, nappy storage within your reach, washable paddings.
- Chest of Drawers of other storage unit for baby clothes.
- Baby Bath. Look for non-skid bottom to keep baby from slipping.
- Infant Seat. Nice to have one with a rocking mechanism. Look for wide, sturdy, stable base, crotch and waist restraint straps.
Consult your baby's doctor for recommendations. Be sure you store them out of reach of infant and children.
- Paracetomol - Calpol, panadol or Tempura.
- Calamine Lotion for mosquito bites and itchy rashes.
- Calibrated Spoon, Dropper / Oral Syringe for administering medications.
- A Thermometer.
OUTING EQUIPMENT FOR BABY
- Baby Pram, preferably lightweight and sturdy with good storage space.
- Baby Car Seat.
- Baby Carrier, preferably one with baby facing front. Look for good head and shoulder support.
- Nappy Bag. Multiple compartment and waterproof. A detachable changing pad is a must.
- Baby Music CDs. Soothing music is best.
- Toys for the baby cot. Something to provide visual stimulation.